4/25/14

Happy National Poetry Month

The New York Times asked readers to write haiku about the city. For those of you who aren't poetry nerds, that means: three lines of five, seven and five syllables. 

Writers were asked to stick to six subjects: the island, strangers, solitude, commuting, 6 a.m. and kindness. 

I liked this so much because it is about what I am experiencing from a day to day perspective in NYC. The life here is far from easy street, but there is something energizing about having a community to experience it with. So, a few of my favorites-


The grocer:
Union Square Market
Blueberries for ten dollars
New York City blues

My commute:
morning Q commute
has the best smell of the day:
coffee and shampoo

 Leaving work (near Times Square):
Tourists in New York
Three abreast, strolling, chatting:
I want to shove you.

Guilt: (though I would never say it)
I walk near Times Square
Stop at crosswalk, look at map
Behind me, “Move it!”

Russell Henderson, 62, Milledgeville, Ga.


 The commute: 
A moment of bliss
When tunnels steal our WiFi
Quick glimpse of freedom

The rare unicorn:
Too rushed to say hi,
Faces pass hurriedly by
But Joy! The rare grin!
Lindsay Lieberman, 29, Manhattan

I've only been here two weeks, and am learning so much each day. I feel like the city has a hot branding iron that burns me with NEWB on the regular. So, I guess- It's nice to read some of these and see that I'm not the only one who thinks about them! That in all of this madness, there are people like me.

Here is the link if you are interested in reading more:
The New York Times did a http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/27/nyregion/new-york-city-in-haiku.html?hp